We discovered Victory Garden over the week end! It is a tiny place located on Carmine in the West Village. The logo looks like a goat's head: no wonder as they use goat milk for their ice cream! Why goat milk? Because of the Middle Eastern influence of the owners and the advantages of goat milk that are displayed at the entrance of the store:
- Goat milk is lower in fat than cow’s milk, but with all the nutrition!
- Goat milk is rich in healthy antimicrobial fatty acids, which are burned by the body, rather than stored as is cow’s milk.
- Goat milk is a great source of iron, calcium, protein and potassium.
- Goat milk is lactose friendly, making it easy for people with lactose-intolerance to digest.
- Goat milk is the most similar animal milk to that of humans and is more readily processed than cow’s milk.
I very rarely had goat milk in my life, but why not? So we decided to try their ice cream. We picked their most popular: the salted caramel. As a topping, we chose chocolate crunch.
For toppings, they have plenty: brownies, sprinkles, honey, walnut, honeycomb (!), etc.
The salted caramel was very good: very tasty and creamy.
The other flavor was chocolate rosemary and we added halva as a topping. It was very rich and very creamy, even more than the salted caramel. The dark chocolate was definitely coming through and you could taste that there were some spices mixed in it, but I did not really taste the rosemary. Having Halva as a topping was pretty surprising and it paired very well with the strong chocolate flavor.
From the two flavors, the salted caramel was definitely my favorite.
Know that Victory Garden is also selling salads and sandwiches as well as yogurt. They also sell produces made with goat milk such as soap and lip balm. This is definitely a place to try if you like rich and creamy ice cream. They would not tell you it is made with goat milk, you would not even know!
Enjoy (I did)!
If you like this post or the photos, feel free to share it using the toolbar below or to write a comment!
And Remember: I Just Want To Eat!